Sunday, June 15, 2008

Tragic Spinning Accident...


...or sort of accident. I had a feeling this might happen, but I ignored it. I ignored it the whole time I was spinning my 1.2 kg of fleece in the most beautiful natural colours. I ignored it while my apprehensions started screaming " there's something terribly wrong!" during the plying process. I ignored it whilst washing my finished handspun yarn, all 975 grams of it. I ignored it until I sat down with my newly finished yarn, Sunrise Circle Jacket pattern and knitting needles and cast on a swatch...and after knitting 2 rows finally admitted that I'd spun the stuff too thickly to have any hope at all of making the pattern work with the yarn I'd created. Hangs head in shame for omitting to swatch again after the first attempt was too thin. What was I thinking saying "oh, I'll just spin the singles a little bit thicker, that'll work, I'm sure I won't overcompensate."


I'm going to go cry for a little while, then scour Ravelry for patterns in the gauge it's knitting up to (bulky- 14 sts/20 rows to 10 cms on 6 mm needles). I guess all is not lost, I now have 720m of beautiful bulky yarn. If anyone has ideas for a pattern let me know....

3 comments:

MissVicki said...

Aw man. I feel for you. I'll be keeping my eyes open in RAV for ya.

Anushka said...

Oh no!!

I'm going looking for you now!!

Joey

Anushka said...

I found a yarn with the same specifications for a swatch as your bulky...

http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/homespun.htm

the bad news is that it is used mostly for afgans and "bulky knits"

Perhaps a top down raglan cardi/sweater, where you can just knit until it is the right size for you!

start with bad penny at knitty or Elizabeth Zimmerman (this one's better as it tells you to add sts under the arm to give your boobs some room!

found this one on Ravelry - it's just weird!!

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Anakalia/desperate-housefrau

J