Friday, June 20, 2008

Survey Says...

My bulky handspun


Thank you for the hugs, I am slowly getting over my harrowing spinning tragedy. I have accepted that it was a learning experience and boy, have I learnt from it. In response to a few who have asked if I could just make a smaller size, I am reluctant to do this for a few reasons. First, and most importantly, I just don't want a bulky jacket. Although I am making it primarily for the winter trip home to Canada, it would be nice to be able to wear the finished product once or twice during our winter here in Brisbane and it just doesn't get cold enough for bulky jackets here. Second, I really like the hemmed facings in the pattern and they would be really unwieldy in a bulky yarn. Plus, since row gauge plays a bigger than usual part in the construction and finished size of this pattern, resizing could be more problematic than usual. Mostly, I just think it would alter the drape and character of the pattern too much. The difference in gauge is too drastic.

However, I really like the yarn, and I'm pleased with how nice and even I managed to get the 2 ply. I love the natural colour variations and I can't wait to use it in a project. Here's another closeup.



So, I'd like to request some help from you fine folks. I've been scouring Ravelry for pattern ideas and I've found a few that might work. The links are listed below, I'd love to hear which one you'd vote for. Please leave a comment and tell me which one you'd pick/why you think it would be the best choice. I'll be publishing results in an upcoming post. Feel free to pass the link along to anybody else you feel might be interested.



5. None of the above... I have also thought about designing my own pattern for a men's vest with this yarn. Finished product would go to hubby but if the pattern turned out well I might submit it to Knitty as they take handspun projects. Of course, that would mean I couldn't blog about it...

As for the Sunrise Circle Jacket, it's still number one on my list of things to knit. Before the lovely Joey left for Canberra she most kindly gifted me with a bag full of dark fleece that had been washed and carded with purple and green mohair. It hadn't spun up the way she was envisioning, but I loved it. I've spun a sample which I Navajo plied and it works out perfectly to gauge. Aren't the little bits of purple and green delicious?


Here it is knit up. I've christened the colourway Deep Woods as it looks dark and mysterious. Now all that's left is to spin enough for a cardigan. Again. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anushka said...

I choose this one...http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTemerald.html

and...deep woods looks great!!